March 26, 2008

the addiction of mickey D's

I'm not sure if you have watched Super Size Me. If you haven't, and you have a McDonald's addiction, I suggest that you do.

A few years ago, Mr. Hubsters and I were in our car sitting in front of a red light. We watched people crossing the street. One particular family caught our eye. It was a mom, dad and a little baby no more than 14 months being pushed in the stroller. The baby was reaching, begging, grabbing, screaming at what the mom was holding, wanting to be every part of it. A McDonald's Bag.

It was then that we turned to each other and said, if we ever have kids, he or she won't even know what McDonald's is. Well, it turns out that Buddy had his first McDonald fry yesterday at 13 months. (I didn't keep my promise). One fry turned into 2. then 3, then 4. I stopped it before it got out of hand. As I shoved the rest of the fries in my own mouth so they were all gone from his sight, he still noticed the red container. No matter how hard grandma tried to distract him, turning corners, ducking behind sofa's, turning on Barney, his eyes would revert back to that blasted empty fry containter and he would start wimpering.

I don't get it. The power of McDonald's is fascinating. Babies barely able to walk and talk are already addicted. Ms. Tweedlemum has nicknamed every fast food joint "Chicken and Fries". Tweedleboy and Tweedlegirl will be none the wiser. You can't obviously avoid the big "M" but at least she's trying. Which is what I think I will do from now on! But sometimes if I need peace and quiet, I will just shove a fry in his mouth....shame on me.

moral of the story: Mickey D's is bad. It caused my gall stones.

2 comments:

tweedlemum said...

At the very least "chicken and fries" avoids branding, but it's only temporary. Now the boy recognizes the giant yellow M. He cares less about the food now and more about the big playground in it... which is a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.