March 20, 2008

please stop screaming!

Our newest hurdle (which won't seem to go away anytime soon) is buddy's separation anxiety. It's pretty bad. We are talking like if nature calls, you would have to bring him with you or fear that your eardrums will be permantly damaged. (bringing him into the bathroom is a whole other blog)

So every Sunday we would go to church and hope for the best that he would stay in the nursery like every other child in there. Someone would distract him, I would sneak out.

Two seconds later, I can hear him SCREAMING. Now this is while I'm inside sitting in the sanctuary. And our church can hold 2500 people. (I think). So try to imagine how high his octaves are. So one of us goes back and ends up sitting with him the rest of the time. This is just one scenario of our lives.

I'm sure that EVERY parent has gone through this. Some worse than others. But just like his early colic days, I was convinced at that time, his colic would never end. But it did. And this better too.

----------------------------------------------------------

I did some googling and found this on Baby Center:

Seven to 12 months
At around seven months your baby will realize she is independent of you; this is a huge cognitive leap worthy of celebration. Unfortunately, this new understanding of separateness makes your baby anxious. She's become so attached to you that when you leave her alone, even for a minute, she will burst into tears. She doesn't have the information yet that you will always come back. And sneaking out when her back is turned - when you leave her at nursery, for example - won't help. In fact, it may just make her more afraid that you aren't coming back. Hard as it can be, say goodbye and go while she's watching.

A now famous British study shows exactly how clueless babies are about their own existence. Researchers placed several infants under the age of one in front of a mirror to see whether they understood that the reflection was an image of themselves. They didn't. The children patted their mirror image, behaving as if they were seeing another baby. And when researchers dabbed red rouge on each baby's nose and plopped them back in front of the mirror, they always tried to touch their reflection's nose, not their own.
----------------------------------------------------------

- I agree with this, although with some comments. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no issues leaving him with someone else. (yes, it is heart wrenching to hear him scream), but more so the caregiver's mental state after enduring endless hours of this screaming. (notice there is no "cry" here).

- As for the mirrors, he does pound on the mirrors, but is it because he thinks it's someone else? I never see him going to other babies and pounding them in the face.

Moral of the Story: Do what works best for you and forget what everyone else says. (I should practice what I am preaching)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mean Mommie said...
2 words: HIGH NEED! I've experienced alot of the same issues, except that I don't go to church. I can't leave my daughter with anyone else except daddy or my mother-in law. I've tried the distraction/quick dash, only to find that my attempt in doing so was unsuccessful. So what do you do?? Unfortunately, there's no easy answer. People can judge me all they want and think that I am spoiling my child..but at the end of the day, what do they know??!! They don't know what I go through and better yet, they don't know me! Unlike most people, I am in a position where I can stay home, watch my child and work when I have time..that's the beauty of being a so-called "mompreneur". However, being a mompreneur isn't as glamorous as it sounds. This means, I literally work 24/7 on top of my job as being mom, playmate, human pacifier, entertainer and teacher. And that's just the tip of the iceberg..the only answer is: PATIENCE as your child gets older, it honestly gets better and easier in a lot of ways.

Anonymous said...

babyboomba said...
Mean Mommie, Love your name...I hear ya! Running your own business while taking care of kidlets requires many hats and on top of all that stress, the last thing you want to hear is other people telling you how to raise your kids. What have I learned from all this? Keep an open mind about other peoples decisions and support them however you can. Everyone has their own reason for doing things and they do what works best for them (like the ever so controversial co-sleeping). Unless you are in their shoes 24 hours a day, don't be so quick to judge.