March 22, 2008

the adventures with ms. tweedlemum's kids

I offered to help out Ms. Tweedlemum (the other writer of this blog) by babysitting her kids while she went through her most recent phase of "Hi, I just had a baby, so I need to get a makeover".

So I timed the whole day's events around my own buddy's nap schedule (which is what we do for everything or pay the consequences later). This completely went out the window since he decided to wake up at 5:30 am that day. But whatever.

Ms. Tweedlemum is due to ring the door bell at noon. So 12:00 pm rolls around and I'm trying to get him to nap so he can be back on schedule (this is his SECOND nap by the way). I don't think I’ve ever willed him to sleep with my magical powers as hard as I did that day.

So in comes Tweedlemum, Tweedlegirl (4 months) and Tweedleboy (3.5 years). It suddenly dawned on me. How in the world am I going to manage this. The two Tweedlekids are ok. But once you stir buddy into the mix, its game over. Buddy is a little 13 month old energizer bunny who’s limbs never stops moving. Tweedlemum has nicknamed him "the blur" because every picture taken of him somehow renders his body with feathered edges.

Anyways, 10 minutes later, my mom walks in too. I "happened" to mention to her about my day's “events”. She later told me she knew I would need her help but decided to keep quiet and just show up. THANK GOD.


Ms. Tweedlemum is off to her hair appointment. I knew it would take at least 2 hours. Tweedleboy was starting to get a little anxious seeing his mom put her shoes on, so I distracted him by manoeuvring him near the computer. I was quite surprised at his knowledge for technology. His little fingers navigated that mouse with precision like quality comparable to a programmer developing the next major software. Nothing else to really say about him other than the fact that his little butt was plastered to that chair for the next 3 hours.

Which left us to deal with buddy and Tweedlegirl. Now, Tweedlegirl is the most adorable thing u can encounter but she's also a sac of potatoes. Which makes it easy for buddy to attempt to steal her soother, try to see if those eyeballs are real, pull those fingers...you get the idea. (Tweedlemum, if you are reading this, I'm only kidding, you don't really think I’d let him poke her eyeballs out do you?)

So, time for Tweedlegirl’s change. But of course, Tweedlemum in her haste to rush to our place, forgot to pack the essential diaper. No worries, stage 3’s to the rescue for a 4 month old. She looked like Steve Urkel.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty much smooth sailing, just wrestling buddy off trying to hug Tweedleboy (who's a little frightened by his bursts of energy) and reminding buddy that Tweedlegirl is a real human and not a doll.

4.5 hours later, in walks Ms. Tweedlemum, looking as sexy as ever with her new slick 'do. She also felt it good to mention how relieved she was seeing my mom's car still in the driveway. Gee, Thanks.

She offers to look after buddy for me in return. Now when that happens, I'm pretty sure her blog will be double, if not quadruple mine.

Many thanks to:
- My mom, who saved my butt and sanity (not that it was that bad).
- Tweedlemum, who opened my eyes and gave me that dose of reality to NOT have my second child until sometime in 2020.

Moral of the Story: looking after a 13 month old and a 4 month old at the same time is equally as nerve-wracking as setting your own hair on fire.

Hats off to: all moms/dads who have more than 1 child living with them. Even more hats to those who's children are less than a year and a half apart.

2 comments:

tweedlemum said...

I apologize for the diapers. So unlike me. Actually, it's very like me. We went away for a weekend with the boy when he was a babe, and forgot his entire bag. No clothes, no diapies, nothing but what he was wearing.

boombalady said...

yikes!!!!!!!!!