March 22, 2008

the power of the nap

You know you are pressed for time when the only moment you can blog is typing it in your blackberry while putting the baby to bed. Only because it takes him a good 25 minutes to drift off. (So I might as well be efficient). We haven't gotten to the point of saying nite nite, kisses, and me leaving the room while he blissfully puts himself to sleep. But we have come a long way (I'll be sure to share that in a later blog).

So I'm sure you've all heard the phrase "sleep when the baby sleeps". I hate that phrase. Probably because
everyone and their uncle's brother preached it. If I were to sleep when he sleeps, I would get absolutely NOTHING done.
And even if I did, his naps were so short in the beginning that I would only be wakened 20 min later all disgruntled because my nap was cut off. Never mind trying to run a business. My work hours begin the second he is in lala land. I will literally RUN and start the stop watch. So, to sum it up, No I never sleep when the baby sleeps! Something is always more important than napping. Shame on me.

But yesterday, putting him down for his afternoon nap, I was fighting my tiredness. Resist the urge to sleep. Don't give in to Aunt Jane's preaching. Imagine what you could do in that hour and a half. But after fighting with my own demon for 10 minutes, I said to heck with it. I scooped up buddy, headed to my room and we had a luxurious 2 hour nap. Infact this time, it was ME that had to wake him up.

Moral of the story: Nap when the baby naps: once in a while.
Unrelated Pet Peeve of the day: Cleaning my stovetop with that white stuff.

No comments: