March 21, 2008

the nursing area

Sooooooo, I take the fam to the brand new local library. Nice! It looks like a mall. A fireplace, quiet reading areas, internet stations, wide open spaces. We sat and read picture books for a while, got a new library card, played a shockingly difficult game of Blues Clues on a computer station. All in all, I would guess we were there 3 hours. I swear, 5 different people pointed out the new nursing station. (Little did they know I had already BFed in a discreet corner in the picture book section) I do feel bad because I was a little snippy with number 5. I know, I know! The librarians were all trying to be helpful and I really don’t fault them at all for it. I’m sure it looked all new age and family friendly in the blueprints, when they blocked off an area just for exposing nipple, but to me a nursing station says “Hey, we’re all pro-breastfeeding here, but would you mind locking yourself in this dark little room that’s a minor step up from a toilet to feed your baby, because no one here wants to see that” Don’t get me wrong here, I am a prude, I've tried nursing areas before. The local mall has a little alcove in the ladies room complete with sink, a change table, a surprisingly uncomfortable chair, and a large clear box with an opening at the top which I really didn’t get. There I sat, BFing, while a parade of elderly, weekday, mall patrons popped in to use the “private sink”, all the while thinking, I should have just sat in the foodcourt because then I could have had a coffee and an eggmcmuffin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I was approached by 5 people, I would have been snippy with the first one! But good for you to stand your ground... I've had many days nursing in a washroom stall.